News & Insights
Motorcycle Safety Can Save Lives
In July, local news sources in Gwinnett County reported on a crash in Norcross where a motorcyclist was killed by a driver who did not yield while making a left turn. Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to severe accidents because they are largely unprotected and often hard to see. Therefore, they need to take extra care to avoid accidents by following safety precautions and adhering to the rules of the road.
Motorcycle safety tips
You can avoid many motorcycle accidents simply by taking proper precautions:
- Wear a helmet — Georgia law requires all motorcycle riders to wear protective headgear that complies with standards established by the Department of Transportation
- Wear protective clothing — Injuries can be avoided by wearing proper clothing such as jeans, padded jackets and heavy leather boots
- Watch your speed — Speeding can be deadly, especially around curves
- Cut down on distractions — don’t change the settings on devices such as GPS trackers or radios and avoid cellphone use while riding
- Don’t ride in inclement weather — unless absolutely necessary and unless you are an experienced rider
- Don’t ride while impaired — including riding under the influence of drugs, alcohol or medications that can cause drowsiness
- Watch the road —Always pay close attention to road and traffic conditions and changes
- Monitor other vehicles on the road — Ride defensively and stay out of drivers’ blind spots
Unique hurdles facing bikers
Following an accident, the driver’s insurance company typically tries to show that you were at fault for your harm. If they are successful, your damages can be reduced or eliminated. In addition, juries often tend to see bikers as irresponsible, careless and even criminal — a perception that insurance adjusters use to their advantage. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can defend you against insurance company allegations and jury preconceptions that, left unchecked, can hurt your damage claims.
If you or a relative is injured in a motorcycle accident and believe that a third party may be at fault, you should contact an experienced and aggressive Gwinnett and Atlanta-area motorcycle injury attorney who can evaluate your claims and argue for your damages.
About the Firm
McGarity & Efstration, LLC is located in Buford, Georgia and serves clients in and around Metro Atlanta and throughout the State of Georgia.
1305 Mall of Georgia Boulevard
Buford, Georgia 30519